Love You, Love You Not

Love You, Love You Not

Monday, June 8, 2009

She's a Lucky Girl...

In most things in life, I consider myself plagued by abysmal luck. I've never won a game of Bingo, I rarely luck out with a great parking spot or fast checkout lane, and I don't even bother playing the lottery. I have come to accept the fact that in a past life, I committed some terrible crimes against humanity that I now have to pay for in this life.

Or, perhaps, all of the luck in my life was focused on one main thing, one event that changed my life irrevocably for the better: meeting and falling in love with my husband. Not only that, but he fell in love with me back. For both of us, since that first 14-hour marathon date over five years ago, there has been no one else.

Our relationship is not perfect. There are ups and downs: some more up and some more down than others. But this is how love works; you don't move through a relationship in a linear fashion. You don't love each other the same from one day to the next, or even steadily more or less from day to day. Love evolves and changes from day to day, month to month, year to year. There are fits and starts, bursts of love and bursts of anger. Some days it's easier to accept the other person just as they are, and some days you want to scream if you see that same tick one more time. An overwhelming majority of the time I'm happy or content in my relationship and in life with my husband. That's what counts.

Here, I will chronicle the dichotomy: the bursts of love and joy I have with my husband, and those times when I wonder how we ended up together in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment